Sunday, February 6, 2011

Ghana Special

Modern Highlife, Afro-Sounds & Ghanaian Blues 1968-1981

I do love these African compilations with academic sounding sub-titles, and thick booklets so full of information that I never actually work my way completely through them.

I know it sounds like I'm being facetious, but I really am appreciative of the work that so many people are doing to preserve, restore, and market to a new generation music that would otherwise surely be lost.  I also like the notion that licensing fees and royalty cheques, however big they may be, are helping to support retired artists who may be in difficult situations.

This two-disc collection of 39 tracks by almost as many bands and solo artists, demonstrates the breadth and width of almost fifteen years of Ghanaian music.  There are a couple of artists here who have become familiar to me like Hedzoleh Soundz and K. Frimpong & His Cubano Fiestas, but for most of the artists featured here, I'm hearing them for the first time, and I definitely like what I hear.

No comments: