Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Mission #1

Written by Jon Hoeber and Erich Hoeber
Art by Werther Dell'Edera

With it being such a large comics week, I really didn't need to add an impulse buy to the pile, but Image has been putting out some really interesting series lately that have been flying under the radar, and I've usually enjoyed Werther Dell'Edera's art when I've come across it on series like Loveless and GI Joe Origins, so I thought I'd give this a shot.

The Mission opens on your general everyman character getting a check-up.  He's a guy with a wife and two kids, decent job, blah blah blah.  As he's getting in his car, a strange man approaches him, calling him by name, and telling him that he has a mission to fulfill as part of a gigantic war between good and evil that is being waged invisibly all around us.  His mission is to kill some guy within 48 hours.

His reaction isn't all that different from what yours would be (unless you're crazy - I don't really know who reads this site), and he more or less ignores the whole thing.  Eventually, he's convinced to at least check his target out, and we get swept up into what is more or less a Spider-Man origin retread.  It works though, as I found that I got pretty interested in trying to figure out just what is going on at the end.  Interested enough to pick up the next issue?  Probably; we'll have to see.

No comments: