Thursday, July 2, 2009

Farscape: Strange Detractors #4

Written by Rockne S. O'Bannon and Keith RA DeCandido
Art by Will Sliney


I understand that O'Bannon and crew are looking to do all sorts of things in the comic version of Farscape that they couldn't in the TV show, but I'm starting to think that the effects are driving the story.

In this issue, John goes on a Fantastic Voyage with a bunch of anti-bodies into Aeryn's system, to get rid of the Anger Virus which was affecting her translator microbes. Somehow, translator microbes are in the stomach, because once the man-shaped anit-bodies killed the man-shaped viruses, they got puked out.

What follows is a hasty spread of the air-borne antibodies through the vacuum of space, in a couple of pages. Really, the ending was disappointing here. I think that, had the writers confined the outbreak to the commerce planet and the ships that left it, the story would have stayed much more credible. Including the Peacekeepers, Scarrans, and Hynerians just muddied up the plot.

Beyond that, this is still a decent issue. I am enjoying seeing the characters back in action, although I think I'm going to jump ship with this issue. The next mini-series is an alternate-world one, and at $16 for the whole thing, I think I might just pop in some old Farscape DVDs, and wait for the eventual trade to show up cheap on Ebay.

No comments: