Saturday, June 13, 2009

Crate Digging: The Torture Papers

by Army of the Pharaohs

I remember being very interested in this cd when it first came out. It was a supergroup album, and I usually love those. Also, it was the Jedi Mind Tricks extended family, all coming together on one album. Of course, when I was excited about all that, I just naturally assumed that the production was going to be handled by Stoupe, The Enemy of Mankind, whose sound has defined JMT.

He didn't work on a single track. Not one. There are beats by 7L and by Apathy, and that's as far as this cd goes towards featuring beats by 'name' producers. Some of the other people on here I'd heard of before - Shuko and Beyonder - but the rest were newbies, all trying to emulate Stoupe's barocque, dark sound. Some of them sort of succeeded.

The songs on this are exactly what you would expect from these guys. They are at times dark and violent, and at other times, like on 'Into the Arms of Angels', they do their best to sound reflective and sensitive.

In all, this is a decent enough album. Some of the tracks do stand up perfectly well, like 'Gorillas' and 'Narrow Grave'. The only song I can't stand on here is 'The Torture Papers'. It's not an album that I'll play often, but it's okay to listen to it every few years.

No comments: