Thursday, March 14, 2013

Change #4

Written by Ales Kot
Art by Morgan Jeske

I'm not ashamed to admit that by the end of Change, I really had no clue what was going on.  At the beginning of Change I was pretty lost, but this last issue threw pretty much any hope of making sense out the window, as a man with a talking tumor got eaten by some gigantic elder god and then farted out, but after a falling space capsule killed his tumor.  Oh, and some cultists stood around on the beach with an alligator wearing a suit, and a military drone came to life.  Some other stuff happened too - I just don't know what all it was.

The thing is, with Morgan Jeske's nice art, and Sloane Leong's lovely colours, I found that I didn't much care about the story - this is a comic meant to be read as a free association, Surrealist romp, and that's exactly what is was, a mix of Grant Morrison with Brendan McCarthy and Ted McKeever.  And you know, for those reasons, it's a pretty good little series.

Perhaps this book would make more sense read in one sitting, perhaps not.  Ales Kot is getting a lot of press these days, and that somehow has turned into his getting a gig on DC's Suicide Squad (which is either going to be brilliant or horrible), and his press is deserved for trying something different, even if it doesn't entirely work out in terms of clear story.  Or, the story is completely clear, and I'm just not all that smart.  I accept either interpretation...

No comments: