Saturday, June 4, 2011

Sweet Tooth #22

by Jeff Lemire

Reading through this issue, I was surprised to find that I've started to care about the book's supporting characters.  Originally, I was really only concerned with Gus and Jeppard, but I have found that some of the other people that make up the cast of this book have really started to grow on me.

This issue has an odd little scene where Dr. Singh, formerly so calculating and methodical, has begun to get swept up in the "Bible" that Gus's father had written.  It seems that as he approached death, the man we know of as Richard Faunin became obsessed with a couple of figures that look to be influenced by Native American beliefs.

Most of this issue is taken up with Jeppard and Gus meeting Walter, the guy who lives in the dam.  Jeppard doesn't trust him, and Gus and Singh want to continue traveling to Alaska, while just about everyone else wants to stay someplace safe and warm.  A meeting with some of Haggarty's men promises that the next few issues will be really interesting, and I'm picking up a Dharma Initiative/Others vibe to things.  Lemire is doing some brilliant work with this book.

No comments: