Friday, June 10, 2011

Green Wake #3

Written by Kurtis Wiebe
Art by Riley Rossmo

Green Wake had piqued my interest enough that I decided I'd continue to pick up the rest of this five-issue mini-series.  Now, however, the back cover of this latest issue declares that this title is now an on-going, as does the solicitation in Previews for issue five (although it also refers to this issue being the finale).

Normally, I greet that kind of news with pleasure.  I like to see oddball indie books meet with success, but I'm not convinced, based on the material in the first three issues, that there is enough here to pin an on-going series on.

Anyway, this issue is pretty good.  We finally get a lot of the pieces of the Green Wake puzzle laid out face up on the table, if not exactly connected.  We learn just what Morley did prior to waking up in the Wake, and what exactly his and his partner's role in the community is.  We see the role that religion plays for the Green Wake-ers, and get closer to catching up with Ariel on her murderous rampage.

I feel like Green Wake is a good example of a leftfield comics experience, and I'm definitely sticking around through the fifth issue, but I'm going to wait until that point before deciding if I'm going to invest in the series long-term.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good article. I like the stuff.
Thanks.

Watch Movies Online