Monday, December 1, 2008

Fight With Tools

by Flobots

I picked up this album based on the strength of some very glowing reviews, and I have to agree with them all. This is a very powerful album. The Flobots have a political agenda, and they do not shrink away from expressing their opinions. That they do it over live instrumentation and some lovely cello strings makes this a slam dunk for me.

The song 'Same Thing' shouts out Evo Morales and Hugo Chavez. 'Stand Up' is a call for action:

"We shall not be moved
except by a child with no socks or shoes
if you've got more to give
than you've got to prove
put your hands up and I'll copy you."

Their songs aren't preachy; they're about raising consciousness and getting their message across, in a form that is easily packaged to a wide audience. Did this get radio play? I hope so.

From Rise:

don't let apathy police the populace
we will march across
those stereotypes that were marked for us
the answer obvious, we switch the consonants
change the sword to words and lift continents.

I know it's now common to hear that hip-hop is dead, but the Flobots are the type of group that will resurrect it.

I don't understand how this ended up on a major label, except that their might be some racial assumptions about marketing being made here. My only complaint? Brer Rabbit - you're no Melvin Van Peebles - switch the name son.

No comments: