Saturday, November 29, 2008

Myspace Dark Horse Presents Vol. 1

The original Dark Horse Presents is a title that I remember with great fondness. It was somewhat of a mixed bag - the quality varied quite a bit at times, and so did my interest in what was on offer in any given issue, but for the most part, the series contained some great comics, and introduced me to some titles and creators that I went on to enjoy a great deal.

I like the idea of revitalizing the series, but am not a huge fan of on-line comics. There's something about sitting in front of the computer screen that doesn't work for me, so I was pleased that the inevitable print version has come out.

This book, like the original series, is a very diverse anthology, of mixed quality. I loved Whedon and Moons' 'Sugarshock' story - it's very silly, but enjoyable. I'm also always up for a FEAR Agent story, so that went over quite well for me.

One of the most interesting stories was 'A Circuit Closed' by Ezra Claytan Daniels. Unlike many of the other parts of this book, it doesn't appear to be promoting another series, and is instead the type of story that I loved in the old DHP (and Cheval Noir, the European version). It's a little confusing, but ultimately a great comic.

I must say that I was disappointed in the silliness of the Goon, and found the 'Gear School', 'Umbrella Academy' and 'Empowered' stories didn't do much to encourage me to pick up the related trades. I hope in future the editors at MDHP focus more on telling good stories, and not line-wide advertisements in short story form (which I admit is often what the original DHP was).

No comments: